At the start of a multi-unit building project, one of the biggest considerations is utilities; how to cost-effectively get electricity, water, thermal energy and gas to occupants. Then, once occupied, how to monitor, manage and bill utilities equitably between occupants. Multi-tenant real estate developers can solve the utility management challenge with the use of a Managed Meter Service. With submetering, the right technology, and processes in place, all stakeholders can be accountable for their contribution to the property’s sustainability objectives through utility conservation. A Managed Meter Service is an easy and cost-effective way to deploy a metering system.
Make sure you get the right managed submeter solution for your building. Here are five considerations to help with your decision-making:
- Choose experienced professionals to select, install and service a custom submetering solution designed specifically for your multi-use building.
- Make certain your vendor has the expertise needed to get the job done on time and on budget.
- Verify that their electrical, mechanical and data contractors are licensed.
- Ensure the best possible meter products and revenue grade smart submeter system components are used to suit your building’s needs.
- Choose open protocol meters and data collection equipment so you are never locked in with proprietary protocols or vendor specific technology.
Multi-tenant real estate developers utilize a Managed Meter Service because it is a turn-key submetering solution. It solves the problem of ‘how and what’; from project conception to completion including the implementation of energy management software facilitating direct utility billing and tenant engagement to drive conservation. Submetering solutions for multi-tenant buildings could include:
- Complete metering system design and project management of both new construction and retrofits
- Supply and installation of electrical, water, gas, and thermal meters by fully bonded, licensed contractors
- Triple commissioning of meter installation to ensure accurate data
- Web-based meter reading and reporting to owners and tenants
- Training, conservation tips and information provided to property management and tenants
- Tenant account set-up, payment process, billing & collections
- Measurement Canada accuracy and legal obligations are implemented
Need help with your submetering project? QMC works with Canada’s largest developers, property managers, and top energy consultants. We deliver turn-key submeter systems across Canada; building-specific, fully managed submeter systems from design to post-installation service. As a national distributor and service provider of revenue-grade smart metering systems, QMC provides open protocol meters and data collection equipment. QMC is a Measurement Canada Accredited Meter Verifier. Download our Managed Meter Service Guide.